|Mount of the Holy Cross|
Holy Cross Electric Association, Inc. was organized in 1939 by a strong and independent group of farmers and ranchers in the Roaring Fork and Eagle valleys to bring electric service to these rural areas for the first time. Efforts to obtain electricity from private power companies had failed. Their first meeting was held in Eagle, Colorado, to incorporate the Association and to elect the first Board of Directors. There were 10 original Directors, two of whom were women. “Holy Cross” was accepted as the official name of the Rural Electrification Administration (REA) cooperative at the meeting. Paul W. Brown, a county extension agent, suggested the co-op be named after the Mount of the Holy Cross near Minturn, Colorado. These rural leaders turned to the REA for a loan to build power lines in the two valleys. They were successful in obtaining a $119,000 loan. In September of 1941, the first lines were energized, bringing the benefits of electricity to about 175 families in the Roaring Fork and upper Eagle River valleys. From 1941 through 1961, Holy Cross grew and expanded its service area by purchasing the Eagle River Electric Company in 1943 and Mountain Utilities of Aspen in 1954. Power was extended in 1950 to portions of the lower valley, Cattle Creek, Spring Valley, Woody Creek, Crystal River valley, Fryingpan, and Sweetwater. Eventually, in 1958, it was extended to the upper Vail Valley, Gunnison County, and Marble. In 1962, a tremendous growth era began and has been taking place ever since. The development of the Vail area began in 1962 and “Ski Country, USA” was born. In 1962, Holy Cross served about 2,300 consumers. By 1971 (less than 10 years later), Holy Cross had almost quadrupled in size, serving approximately 8,700 consumers. This period also saw the birth and development of another major ski area and resort, Snowmass Village. The growth of other Aspen skiing facilities also continued at a fast pace. In 1998, Holy Cross Electric Association, Inc. changed its name to Holy Cross Energy (hereinafter “Holy Cross”) in response to a movement in the electric utility industry to deregulate the industry and introduce open competition. Similarly, the logo featuring the Mount of the Holy Cross gave way to a three-part circular laurel design. The new name and logo exhibited energy, forward movement, and diversity to convey Holy Cross’s expanded services and direction. The expansion of Holy Cross has come a long way and will certainly present a challenge during the years to come. Holy Cross’ mission statement states: “Holy Cross Energy is committed to providing its members with the best possible services at a reasonable and competitive cost consistent with sound business and environmental practices.”
Today, Holy Cross is a cooperative corporation with more than 55,000 member-owners served by 158 employees. It is proud to provide energy and services to major ski resorts located in the Aspen and Vail areas as well as farms, ranches and friendly rural communities that provide people and resources for the tourist and outdoor recreation industries.